Dan Frick, Dane County Surveyor
Duties of the Office
To maintain the records of the Dane County Surveyor's Office, including the Public Land Survey System information on tie sheets, Plats of Survey completed by private land surveyors, and geodetic control information on Dane County.
- Maintain and provide public access to survey records and information, including Public Land Survey System monument records, plats of survey and geodetic control information on Dane County.
- Assist with public inquiries about survey information, property records and descriptions, and property ownership.
- Develop and maintain the County's databases as relates to survey information.
- Maintain an archive of historic (pre-1995) aerial photography.
- Distribute information to firms and individuals which relates to property records and ownership through the sale of maps, computer printouts, and mircrofiche.
- Program Development - The County Supervisor has developed a workplan focused on improving the quality and availability of survey information in Dane County. The workplan identifies needed automation projects and additional community services. The plan will be reviewed by local survey professionals and be administered by the County Surveyor on an annual basis.
- Survey Network Improvements - As a part of the Fly Dane 2000 project, the Dane County survey network was inventoried and additional geodetic and photo control established. A final report, including monument records and published coordinate values, is nearing completion.
- Surveyor's Office - Dane County has purchased Surveyor's Office to manage and publish survey control information. The database is currently under development, and will include all Dane County geodetic, PLSS and photo control information. The software supports GIS queries and displays, and will be enhanced in the future to include image files such as tie sheets and corner reports.
- GIS/Mapping - The County Surveyor oversees the development and maintenance of the county's GIS databases as relates to survey information, as well as providing quality control and professional support services to support GIS parcel mapping. The GIS survey control layers form the spatial reference framework for a variety of Dane County GIS layers. GIS parcel maps have been completed countywide and are now in an ongoing maintenance mode. An annual archive of GIS parcel maps was begun in 2000.
- Plat Imaging - Dane County Recently began a countywide imaging project. As a part of this project, survey plats and other historical documents maintained by the County Surveyor will be scanned and accessed through image viewing software.
Revised: July 15th, 2010