To create and foster an environment based on comprehensive preparedness principles, safety and security processes and consensus driven decision making within the educational network of Dane County thereby providing students and staff the ability to learn and work to their full potential without concern for their safety or security.
Current Initiatives (Updated 5/4/2009)
To advocate for safe and secure schools in Dane County by:
- Bringing people together based on their interest and needs in safety, preparedness and security in school settings:
- Identifying and implementing the best practices in school safety, preparedness and security county wide;
- Coordinating contacts, plans, policies and practices that support school safety and security;
- Facilitating the sharing of resources for effective responses;
- Developing consistent and coordinated responses county wide to the safety issues that involve or relate to schools;
- Soliciting funding to support school safety and preparedness efforts;
- Facilitating and coordinating school safety and emergency response communication among Dane County schools’
- Helping to design and disseminate school safety training for school administrators, teachers, other school district personnel, and related first responders;
- Facilitating the exercising of school safety / emergency response plans; and
- Cooperating with other governmental agencies and organizations interested in improving school safety and security.
Dane County School Safety Coalition is a collaboration of educational, safety and emergency management professionals dedicated to making Dane County schools safe places to learn, play, teach, work and to visit.
- Dan Grady, Mt. Horeb School District
- Dane Janda, Communications and Warning, DCEM
- Bob Klinger, Wisconsin Emergency Management
- Kathy Krusiec, Dane County Emergency Management
- Mike Lancaster, Diocese of Madison
- Joan Lerman, Department of Public Instruction
- Pam Schaal, Mt. Horeb School District
- Andrew Weiland, Oregon School District
- Shelley Joan Weiss, Waunakee Community School District
- Tom Wohleber, Middleton-Cross Plains Area School District
- Luis Yudice, Madison Metropolitan School District
Aligned with the Safe Schools April Broadcast on Severe Weather, the following online resource provides teachers with activities, lesson plans and multimedia tools that teach students how natural disasters develop and inspires them to build their own emergency preparedness plans with their families. The site features grade-specific lesson plans (K-8), videos, games, puzzles and bulletin board recommendations. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Ad Council have joined with Discovery Education to announce this resource.