Building a sustainable food system takes a lot of work. Your help as an engaged citizen is
imperative to making a difference in Dane County. No matter your interest or availability,
there are plenty of ways you can support local food issues:
- Spread the word share your knowledge about food issues with your friends and family through discussions or sharing articles and publications. Bring a buddy to a local food event or farmer’s market. Host a locally grown party at your home.
- Teach your children explore the importance of eating healthfully and sustainably together. Plant a garden with your children and watch your food grow. Cook and prepare foods together. Develop family rituals around eating. Take your child to a farmersmarket.
- Stay informed follow blogs, read articles, attend meetings, do whatever you can to stay current in the food system conversation. Share what you learn with others.
- Volunteer get involved with one of the many local food organizations. Volunteer to work on an initiative for the food council.
- Be a spokesperson ask your local PTA or food services director about purchasing local foods for your cafeteria. Leave I care cards at restaurants or grocers you frequent.
- Support your local food council attend one of our monthly meetings. Tell your county legislator how important the council and its work is to you. Regularly visit our website. Sign up for our email list serv to share up-to-date news, information, and discussion. Tell the council about an issue we should tackle.
- Serve on the Food Council! If you are interested in serving on the Dane County Food Council and would like to be considered for appointment, please complete the online application.