Dane County Selected as One of Four Sites Nationally to Decrease Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System
2012 City-County Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Humanitarian Awardees Announced
Dane County Executive Joe Parisi and City of Madison Mayor Paul Soglin announced the recipients of the combined City-County Humanitarian Award honoring the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The award winners, selected by the City-County Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission, are community members who reflect the values of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Read more about the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Humanitarian Award, view nominee criteria
Your Rights and Responsibilities under the Law
Dane County Receives Grant to Reduce Racial Disparities
Project Justice Materials
- "Reducing Racial Disparity" manual
- Congressional Testimony on Racial Disparity
- Racial Impact Statements
Watch the conference on the City of Madison Police YouTube Channel
View individual episodes from Project Justice Conference:
- Welcome and Remarks by Dane County Criminal Justice Council
- Implementation Team of the Task Force to Reduce Racial Disparities
- Madison Police Chief Noble Wray: Overview of the Governor's Commission
- Marc Mauer, National Best Practices for Reducing Racial Disparities
- Next Steps for Reducing Racial Disparities
Welcome to the Dane County Office of Equal Opportunity website. We are the county office that promotes equal opportunity through compliance with federal equal opportunity laws; state statues and affirmative action related county ordinances.
Dane County Office of Equal Opportunity supports an inclusive organization, where all people—including people of diverse social and cultural groups (gender, race, ethnicity, class, disability, sexual orientation)—experience uncompromising respect and dignity.
The Dane County Office of Equal Opportunity was formed in December 1999 by combining four related equal opportunity functions from three separate county departments:
- Affirmative Action from The Office of the County Executive
- Minority Affairs from The Office of the County Executive
- Contract Compliance from the Department of Administration
- Equal Opportunity from the Department of Human Services
The reorganization consolidates services and increases opportunities for people who have been historically excluded from the full range of opportunities in Dane County.
We are a county office that promotes equal opportunity through compliance with federal EO laws, state statues and affirmative action related county ordinances. We strive to increase the diversity of the County government workforce and help maintain a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization. Our various events support an increase in contracting with emerging, disadvantaged, minority, and women owned business enterprises. The County Executive, the County Board, the Equal Opportunity Commission, Dane County staff and citizens benefit from our staff support and expertise in the area of equal opportunity.
- To Promote Equal Opportunity (EO) throughout Dane County through compliance with federal EO laws; state statutes and Affirmative Action related county ordinances.
- To Strive to increase the workforce diversity of Dane County government and maintain a diverse workforce, at all levels of the organization.
- To Increase contracting with disadvantaged, minority, women owned and emerging small business enterprises in Dane County and promote implementation of civil rights and contract compliance with applicable EEO/AA laws, regulations, statutes and ordinances.
- To Provide staff support and expertise to the County Executive, the County Board, the Equal Opportunity Commission, Dane County staff and the citizens of Dane County in the area of equal opportunity.
Dane County Minority Business Series
Need improvement strategies for your current business? Thinking of starting a new business? This series of meetings will help you with the tools necessary for business success. Series information available for download: http://www.co.dane.wi.us/oeo/events.aspx