Will You Be Naughty or Nice While Traveling This Holiday Season?
December 19, 2007
So your sleigh is packed full of goodies and gifts and you’re ready for take-off. Before you go, The Dane County Sheriff’s Office wants to make sure you’ve checked this list and checked it twice…
· Make sure your vehicle is well equipped for the trip. Have a winter maintenance check-up to avoid breaking down in the dark or in bad weather.
· Consider what other drivers are thinking and doing. At this time of year people are worried, hurried, and distracted. On the road this means that everyone needs to be more vigilant and aware.
· Be conscious of changing weather conditions. Check weather and traffic reports before you leave, and allow extra time for slippery roads or poor visibility. When snow and ice are present, make sure to maintain clean windows for better visibility.
· Prepare for on the road emergencies by having flares, blankets, a first-aid kit, flashlight, water, and snacks available. Other valuable safety equipment for winter travel is a shovel and some sand or kitty litter to pour on the ground for traction. Cell phones are valuable, but be responsible about using them while driving in heavy traffic or bad weather.
· Above all, drive slowly, wear your seatbelt, and don’t drink and drive.
The Dane County Sheriff’s Office wants everyone to have a safe and happy holiday season.
Contact: Elise Schaffer, PIO
Phone: (608) 284-6142