Winter Driving Tips
November 30, 2007
Contact: Elise Schaffer, PIO
Phone: (608) 284-6142
Madison, WI. November 30, 2007 – Winter driving season is upon us, and the Dane County Sheriff’s Office wants to remind drivers to use extra caution when road conditions deteriorate.
Unpredictable winter weather is forecasted this weekend, which can make for a deadly mix if drivers are not careful. If you must travel this weekend, please consider the following winter driving tips:
· Plan ahead, drive slowly, and allow extra time to reach your destination safely.
· Let someone know your travel routes and itinerary so that, if you don’t arrive on time, officials will know where to find you.
· Stay tuned to the latest weather reports on your radio.
· Be aware of ice patches on bridges and overpasses.
· Maintain a winter survival kit in your trunk.
· Avoid using your cruise control in wintry conditions.
· Have your vehicle properly maintained. If you should become stranded, stay with your vehicle and run the engine and heater in short intervals. Make sure to crack a window in the vehicle to avoid carbon monoxide build-up.
· Never drink and drive and always buckle-up!