Teens Start Fire Near Alliant Substation

May 22, 2009
Contact: Elise Schaffer, PIO Phone: (608) 284-6142 Email: schaffer@co.dane.wi.us
Sheriff's Office

At about 1:40 pm, a Dane County Sheriff’s Deputy, along with the McFarland Fire Department, responded to a brush fire at 3455 CTH MN in the town of Dunn. The deputy was able to determine that five 17-year-old males had started the fire by lighting fireworks off inside a Styrofoam cooler. The teens became concerned when they were unable to extinguish the fire, which was taking place only about 30 yards from an Alliant Energy gas substation. Responders from the McFarland Fire Department were able to put the fire out and no one was injured in the incident. The five males, all from Madison, will be cited for Negligent Handling of Burning Materials. According to the Fire Protection Association, 32,000 fires occur annually due to the mishandling of fireworks. This results in the loss of over 3,000 structures and vehicles, costing the general public over 30 million dollars in property damage. ###