Public Information Meeting on Trail Plan for Upper Yahara River Hiking Trail System
July 14, 2016
Sara Rigelman, Dane County Parks, (608) 224-3611
Land & Water Resources
Dane County Park staff will hold a public information meeting on the establishment of designated hiking trails and trailheads for the Upper Yahara River Hiking Trail System. The Trail System is located just south of River Road in the Town of Westport on the north shore of Cherokee Marsh.
Working with the Town of Westport and neighborhood volunteers, an extensive review of the existing hiking trails and access points for the Upper Yahara River Hiking Trail System was done. Based on this review, a trail plan has been developed that recommends the following:
- Designate approximately 5-miles of natural surface trails open to hiking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
- Clearly mark and sign trails as appropriate for directional purposes.
- Improve the existing trailhead at Yahara Heights County Park by converting it to a gravel lot and installing an informational kiosk with trail map.
- Develop a new trailhead on County property located at 5720 River Rd, Town of Westport. The trailhead would include a small 5-car gravel parking area and informational kiosk with
- Work with the Town, neighbors and other volunteers to create a Friends Group to help maintain the trails and natural resource areas.
A public information meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 20, 7:00 pm at the Town of Westport Kennedy Administration Building, 5387 Mary Lake Rd, Waunakee. Dane County Park staff will present an overview of the Upper Yahara River Hiking Trail System plan.
For further information about the upcoming meeting or the planning process, contact Sara Rigelman, Dane County Parks at 608-224-3611 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Dane County Parks, please visit our website: parks-lwrd.countyofdane.com or call the Parks office at 608-224-3730.
# # #