Domestic Partnership Information (Opposite Gender)
The following information applies to opposite gender partners. View the following page for
same gender partnerships.
Declaration of Domestic Partnership
Please note, both parties need to show a valid picture ID and must appear in person in the office of the County Clerk.
must be signed and notarized in our office. Check here for office closure dates.
- Domestic partners may file a Declaration of Domestic Partnership with the Dane County Clerk if they swear or affirm the following:
- Both are 18 years of age or older;
- Neither is married or part of an existing domestic partnership with any third person;
- They are not related to one another by blood;
- They are of opposite gender;
- They have been engaged in a committed relationship with each other for more than 90 days and share responsibility for each other’s common welfare; and
- They share a common residence in Dane County (and have done so for 90 days or more).
- The Declaration of Domestic Partnership shall require each domestic partner to:
- Swear or affirm that he or she meets the requirements of sub. (1);
- Provide proof that the two parties share a common residence in Dane County (and have done so for 90 days or more);
- Sign the Declaration under penalty of perjury; and
- Have his or her signature acknowledged by a Notary Public.
- No person who has previously signed a filed Declaration of Domestic Partnership may file a new Declaration until a Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership has been filed with the County Clerk. This provision shall not apply if the previous domestic partnership was terminated due to death of one of the domestic partners.
- The Dane County Clerk shall develop a form Declaration of Domestic Partnership and Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership. The form Declaration shall not add to, delete or alter the requirements set forth in subs. (1) and (2).
- The County Clerk shall charge a fee for filing a Declaration of Domestic Partnership of $35. The fee must be paid in cash. No fee shall be charged for filing a Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership. Upon filing in the registry, the clerk shall provide a copy of the document to the domestic partners at the mailing address provided.