ADA Committee Schedule Minutes & Agendas Code of Ordinances Feedback Phone / Email Search

Domestic Partnership Information (Same Gender)

The following information applies to same gender partners. View the following page for opposite gender partnerships.

Where to Apply

Domestic Partnership Declarations are issued in the Dane County Clerk’s Office, Room 106, City-County Building, 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Madison, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are open during the noon hour. Check here for office closure dates.

The partners apply together and in person. Both parties must live in Dane County in order to apply here. Application is made at least six full calendar days before the Declaration may be issued. A waiver of the waiting period may be granted for an additional fee of $10.00. The Declaration does not become effective until it is filed with the Dane County Register of Deeds.


  1. Photo I.D. and Social Security number. If applicant does not have a Social Security number the space will be marked “none”.
  2. Proof of where you have physically lived for the 90 days prior to application, such as a drivers’ license, lease or utility bill that is over 90 days old. You must also know the name of the city, village or township where you reside.
  3. Certified birth certificate issued by the state or county where born. The hospital birth certificate is not acceptable. If born outside the United States, a passport, green card, or naturalization papers may be used in lieu of a birth certificate. Photocopies of birth certificates are not acceptable. Our office can provide you with phone numbers and addresses for obtaining birth certificates.
  4. If previously married we must see a judgment of divorce, legal annulment, or death certificate from the most recent marriage. If in a previous domestic partnership, we must see a Legal Termination of Domestic Partnership.
  5. The legal age for a domestic partnership in Wisconsin is 18.
  6. Names of both parents, with correct spellings, including middle names and mother’s maiden name.
  7. Both persons must apply in person and sign the application before the County Clerk or Deputy.
  8. If one or both of the applicants doesn’t speak English, a third party needs to interpret at the time of application. Partners may not translate for each other.
  9. Declaration fee is $120 in cash. No check, no credit nor debit cards are accepted. Payment is due upon application and non-refundable.

For further information call (608) 266-4124


 ADA Committee Schedule Minutes & Agendas Code of Ordinances Feedback Phone / Email Search