ADA Committee Schedule Minutes & Agendas Code of Ordinances Feedback Phone / Email Search

Marriage License Application Information

How to apply for a license

The couple must apply together and in person. If either applicant lives in Wisconsin, they must apply in the county where one or both of them have physically resided for at least 30 days prior to the date of application. The license may then be used to marry in any county in Wisconsin. If both applicants live out of state they must apply in the county where the ceremony will take place.

  1. Arrangements for the wedding must be set PRIOR to applying for a marriage license. At the time of application you will tell us the date and place (the county, and the city, township or village) where the ceremony will take place. The officiant's legal name (no titles), mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address (if applicable); this information will be printed on the license. If you are using one of our Civil Wedding officiants, we do have that information here, just let us know when you check in.
  2. Each person must provide Photo I.D. and Social Security number (we DO NOT need the Social Security card). If the applicant does not have a Social Security number the space will be marked “none.”
  3. A printed document proving where each you have physically lived for the 30 days prior to application, such as a driver’s license, lease, utility bill or bank statement. You must also know whether you live in a city, village or township and county where you reside.
  4. Certified birth certificate issued by the state or county where each person was born. Birth certificate must be legible, not tattered and torn. The hospital birth certificate is not acceptable. If, and only if, born outside the United States, you MAY substitute a passport, green card, or naturalization papers, but a birth certificate is always preferable. Photocopies of birth certificates are NOT acceptable. You must know how to correctly spell your parents full names – first and middle and mother’s maiden name.
  5. If either applicant was previously married we must see a judgment of divorce, legal annulment, or death certificate from the most recent marriage. The printout from CCAP is not acceptable. Divorced persons may not remarry until six months after the granting of the judgment of divorce, regardless of where the action took place.
  6. The legal age for marriage in Wisconsin is 18. If an applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, a consent form needs to be signed by the parents or guardian before the County Clerk.
  7. If one or both of the applicants don’t speak English, a third party needs to interpret at the time of application. Couples cannot translate for each other. A Spanish speaking person is available from 8 am – 1:00 pm and 1:45 – 4 pm.

How to pay for your license

License fee is $120 in cash. No checks, no credit and no debit cards are accepted. Payment is due upon application and is non-refundable.

Where to Apply

Marriage licenses are issued in the Dane County Clerk’s Office, Room 106A, City-County Building, 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Madison, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are open during the noon hour. You will need to arrive at the office early enough so that the application can be completed by 4 p.m. Check here for office closure dates.

When to Apply - Waiting Period

Application is made at least six full calendar days before the license may be issued. You must then use your license within the next 30 days. A waiver of the waiting period may be granted for an additional fee of $25 if there are extenuating circumstances.

For further information call (608) 266-4124

 ADA Committee Schedule Minutes & Agendas Code of Ordinances Feedback Phone / Email Search